Jeffrey J. Wetzel
Jeffrey J. Wetzel is a shareholder of Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C.; Co-Chair of the Health Law Business Group; and member of the firm’s Employment Committee and Diversity and Inclusion Committee. He concentrates his practice in all facets of healthcare representation including medical malpractice defense, general liability defense, class action defense, and cybersecurity issues. In his over 15 years of practice, Mr. Wetzel has represented various hospitals and health care providers, including some of the nation’s largest health care institutions, as well as community hospitals, physician practice groups, and individual nurses and physicians. He regularly advises clients on issues including regulatory compliance and litigation avoidance.
Mr. Wetzel is a NITA (National Institute for Trial Advocacy) trained trial attorney.
- The Best Lawyers in America® since 2019: Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants
- Successful defense of physicians and other health care providers through trial in several Pennsylvania state court cases defending claims of personal injury and wrongful death, including first chair defense verdict in wrongful death action
- Through use of legal objections, obtained numerous outright dismissals from the court and forced multiple voluntary dismissals in representation of one of region’s largest healthcare providers
- Representation of healthcare providers in cases involving alleged HIPAA and EMTALA violations
- Defended physician in credentialing dispute with medical insurer
- Representation of multiple physicians in state licensure investigations
- Defended dentist in case involving allegations of expert witness negligence
- Representation of physician in case involving allegations of violation of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Part of team representing the region’s largest healthcare system in multiple substantial matters including class actions
- Successfully briefed and argued multiple appeals before the Pennsylvania Superior Court
- Serve as primary legal counsel for a prominent Pittsburgh-based automotive dealership
Mr. Wetzel has lectured on issues of appellate practice, medical malpractice defense, and the intersection of psychiatry and the law.
Admissions and Licenses
- Pennsylvania Bar Admission
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D. (2004), magna cum laude; Journal of Law and Commerce (Managing Editor); Order of the Coif
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.A. (2001), with high distinction, Political Science, minor in English