Frederick W. Bode, III
Frederick W. Bode, III is a shareholder/director of Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C. and serves on the firm’s governing Executive Committee. He concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, product liability, health care litigation, and technology matters. For the past 15 years he has been National Trial Counsel for two companies and has tried cases to verdict in multiple jurisdictions throughout the United States. In addition, he has counseled clients on issues such as discovery, product development, manufacturing process safety, appropriate language to include in product user manuals, and has advised clients on pragmatic options to consider before moving forward with litigation.
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® since 2000
- Litigation Counsel of America™, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society (Senior Fellow)
- The Best Lawyers in America© since 2007: Commercial Litigation, Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® 2005 and 2009–2019
Mr. Bode has experience litigating matters in various courts and arbitration panels throughout the United States. Many of the matters that Mr. Bode handles for clients involve complex issues in excess of $10 million. His most recent experience includes:
- Serving as National Trial Counsel for world’s largest low slope roof manufacturer for whom he handles commercial/warranty litigation claims throughout the United States.
- National Trial Counsel for product liability matters for international outdoor power equipment manufacturer.
- Litigated product liability cases involving power saws, drug patch delivery methods, and L-tryptophan.
- Represented multiple tire manufacturers in tire failure cases.
- Defended a law firm in an inequitable conduct case.
- Litigation of commercial matters related to dissolution/separation of two corporations.
- Defended a home health care agency in Qui Tam action.
- Successful defense of a power generation company in large apparatus catastrophic failure.
- Defended a rebuilder of coal mining shuttle cars in a “bet the company” trial successfully defending claim for civil contempt related to trade mark and trade dress issues.
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy (Faculty), 2014–2016
- 2014 Annual Fall Conference (Presenter); Product Liability Advisory Council; Chicago, IL; 10/15–17/2014
- “Preparing for Product Liability Litigation” (Co-Presenter), Pennsylvania CLE, 10/9/2014
- “Commercial Litigation: Strategies and Objectives” (Co-Presenter), Pennsylvania CLE, 10/17/2013
- Lecturer on commercial law and health care topics for over 10 years
- Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas Civil Practice Manual (Chapter Author), 10th Edition
- “Understanding the Field of Medical Malpractice Defense” (Chapter Co-Author), Defending Medical Malpractice Claims: Leading Lawyers on Navigating Medical Malpractice Developments and Mounting a Successful Defense (Inside the Minds), p. 75, Aspatore, 2012
Admissions and Licenses
- Pennsylvania Bar Admission
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Defense Research Institute (Product Liability Committee)
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute (PDI)
- Pittsburgh Technology Council
- Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC)
- The University of Akron, J.D. (1980); Bracton’s Inn
- Grove City College, B.A. (1977), with honors, Economics and History