Peter T. Stinson
Peter T. Stinson is a shareholder of Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C. and Chair of the firm’s Environmental Law Group. Mr. Stinson practices out of the firm’s Pittsburgh office. He has more than 25 years of environmental litigation and regulatory experience, defending large and small businesses in civil and administrative proceedings arising under federal and state environmental laws. His clients have included a broad mix of industries, including bulk storage and packaging, building supplies, chemical manufacturing, defense and security, fluids management, foundry operations, paint and coatings, pulp and paper manufacturing, railroad, scrap processing, waste handling, wood treatment, and utilities.
Prior to his association with Dickie McCamey, Mr. Stinson served as Trial Attorney, Environmental Enforcement Section, Land & Natural Resources Division, U.S. Department of Justice, charged with enforcing CERCLA, RCRA, the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, and other federal statutes on behalf of the EPA. He worked directly with EPA Headquarters and regional personnel in enforcing and interpreting agency regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Represented clients in all aspects of Superfund and contaminated sites, handling government cost recovery and private party contribution litigation, representation of PRPs in allocation disputes, settlement negotiations with the EPA and state administrative agencies, and regulatory compliance/cleanup issues; worked on over 40 sites across the country involving a wide variety of contaminants and industrial property settings
- Practice has included enforcement proceedings before the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board involving underground storage tanks, DEP Notices of Violation, penalty assessments, air and water pollution violations, and administrative appeals of agency action; negotiating EPA consent decrees, DEP consent order and agreements, access agreements, administrative reports, and other regulatory deliverables
- Represented clients in a variety of other litigation, including commercial and contract disputes and toxic tort/chemical exposure claims arising under the FELA and products liability theories
Admissions and Licenses
- Pennsylvania Bar Admission
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Allegheny County Bar Association (Environment & Energy Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Environment, Energy, and Resources Section)
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Duquesne University School of Law, J.D.
- Ohio Wesleyan University, B.S., Political Science