Douglas M. Grimsley
Douglas M. Grimsley is a shareholder of Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C. and serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s Government Contracting and Compliance Group. Mr. Grimsley concentrates his practice in the areas of government contracting and compliance, commercial law, and product liability law. He represents an array of business entities, ranging from international corporations to closely-held organizations, assisting clients with contracting, compliance, and litigation issues in multiple jurisdictions.
Mr. Grimsley previously served as National Coordinating Discovery Counsel for a multinational corporation. In this role, he worked closely with the client to coordinate discovery efforts in cases pending across the country. He continues to work with the client on a wide variety of other legal issues including defense of product liability claims and assistance in the development of compliance programs.
After law school, Mr. Grimsley attended the National Trial Advocacy College at the University of Virginia. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Grimsley served as a law clerk with the Pennsylvania Governor’s Office of General Counsel.
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars 2010–2014
- The Legal Intelligencer’s 2011 “Lawyer on the Fast Track” Designee
- David B. Fawcett Pro Bono Award – Inaugural Recipient (awarded in recognition of service to the community through pro bono work)
- Representation of individual taxpayers in an action involving regional and national joint purchasing entities concerning allegations of non-compliance with competitive bidding laws, proprietary specifications, and improper bundling of services unrelated to the contract work. The case resulted in a favorable settlement for the individual clients.
- Representation of a marine engineering firm in negotiations with a foreign entity regarding compliance with U.S. State Department ITAR regulations.
- Successful summary judgment representing a national manufacturer in Beaumont, Texas, state court defending claims for negligent design and manufacturing.
- Representation of a national manufacturer regarding claims of violation of the “Buy American” provisions of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
- Representation of a naval architect firm regarding issues involving the Ethics in Government Act surrounding a proposed project for the Naval Special Warfare Center, Combatant Craft Division.
- Representation of a national manufacturer through trial in Virginia state court defending commercial claims for breach of contract and breach of warranty. The jury returned a verdict consistent with the pretrial settlement offer.
- Representation of a national communications company through trial in Pennsylvania state court defending claims of personal injury and wrongful death. The case successfully concluded for client on motion for compulsory non-suit at the close of plaintiff’s case in chief.
- Representation of a hospital in the District of Columbia in prosecution of product liability claims against a manufacturer of medical devices. The case resulted in obtaining a substantial indemnity settlement for the client.
- “Commercial Litigation: Strategies and Objectives” (Co-Presenter), Pennsylvania CLE, 10/17/2013
- “Fundamentals of Family Law” (Co-Presenter), Pennsylvania CLE, 6/16/2011
Admissions and Licenses
- Pennsylvania Bar Admission
- Virginia Bar Admission
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Federal, Third, and Fourth Circuits
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management (CLM) Alliance
- Pittsburgh Technology Council
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Serves on firm’s Pro Bono Committee
- Initiated and coordinated firm’s Child Custody Guardian ad Litem Project (pro bono project in which attorneys represent the interest of children in complex and high risk custody cases pending in Allegheny County); over the past three years, Mr. Grimsley litigated numerous high risk custody cases through to trial
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D. magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; University of Pittsburgh Law Review (Managing Editor)
- Old Dominion University, B.S. cum laude, Political Science