Benjamin M. Basista
Benjamin M. Basista is a shareholder of Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C. and Chair of the Medicare Compliance Group, in which he concentrates his practice.
Mr. Basista focuses his practice on addressing Medicare Secondary Payer issues that arise in the resolution of workers’ compensation, general liability, and FELA claims. He is retained as National Medicare Counsel and Advisory Medicare Counsel to a number of insurance carriers, third-party administrators, self-insured entities, and trade organizations. He is also retained nationwide as a Medicare Set-Aside provider and Section 111 Medicare Mandatory Insurer Reporting agent.
Mr. Basista is a frequent lecturer on the topic of Medicare compliance to insurance carriers, self-insured businesses, law firms, and professional organizations.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Basista served as a law clerk to the Honorable Paul F. Lutty in the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County and worked in the Pittsburgh office of the National Labor Relations Board. Additionally, he was in private practice with another law firm in Pittsburgh focusing on Medicare compliance issues.
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute Annual Medicare Compliance lecturer
- “Current Issues in Nursing Home Litigation” (Co-Presenter), Elder Law Webcast, Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE, 12/2/2011
- “17th Annual Auto Law Update” (Co-Presenter), General Law Webcast, Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE, 11/18/2010
- “Medicare Secondary Payer Statute in Liability and Workers’ Comp Claims” (Presenter), Workers’ Compensation Webcast, Pennsylvania Bar Institute MCLE, 2/9/2010
- Conducts training sessions for claims staff and counsel across the country for insurance carriers and self-insured entities
Admissions and Licenses
- Pennsylvania Bar Admission
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals, Inc. (NAMSAP) (two-term Board of Directors and former Chair of Legislative Committee)
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- March of Dimes
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D. (2003)
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.S. (2000), Secondary Education