Samuel R. Grego
Samuel R. Grego is a principal of Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C. and is the Founder and Chair of the firm’s Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy Group. Mr. Grego is also the coordinator of the firm’s pro bono activities.
His practice is concentrated in the areas of bankruptcy, creditors’ rights, collections, and commercial transactions. He has extensive experience in complex commercial and corporate Chapter 11 reorganizations as well as in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases. He has represented secured and unsecured creditors and debtors in all aspects of reorganization cases including initial emergency issues which arise upon the commencement of a case, claims filing and administration, negotiations with committees, executory contacts and leases, plan and disclosure statement formulation, negotiation, and enforcement. He has also litigated numerous types of cases in bankruptcy courts including relief from stay matters, claim disputes, valuation of secured claims, preferences and fraudulent conveyances, and dischargeability issues.
Mr. Grego has represented large regional financial institutions in a wide variety of collection, foreclosure and execution proceedings in both state and federal courts. His practice also includes providing defense representation in federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and cases arising under similar state statutes. He also counsels lenders in commercial and consumer lending transactions, including initial documentation and subsequent workout situations and collection.
- DistinguishedSM Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Represented major university in fraudulent transfer and other bankruptcy-related cases
- Represented the unsecured creditors committee in the Chapter 11 case of the nation’s leading light gauge conversion mill for flat rolled stainless steel and high performance alloys
- Represented a large national shopping center developer, which was the largest landlord creditor of a regional retailer of pre-recorded music and related merchandise during its extensive Chapter 11 reorganization
- Represented a large regional health care insurer and other health care industry members as creditors in various complex commercial reorganizations and liquidations
- Represented various creditors in large steel industry bankruptcies
- Represented and assisted mid-sized businesses in successfully reorganizing their operations in numerous industries, including health care, metal lithographing, retail hardware and road construction
- “Whether College Tuition Payments are Subject to Claw Back by Bankruptcy Trustees” (Moderator/Co-Presenter), Joint Event Western District Pennsylvania and Delaware Inns of Court, 4/9/2019
- “Business and Litigation Strategies for a Brave New World” (Co-Presenter), DMC Commercial Law and Litigation Group CLE, 11/15/2018
- “From the Boardroom to the Courthouse” (Co-Author/Co-Presenter), ACC Pittsburgh Chapter CLE, 11/10/2016
- “Advanced Bankruptcy Issues In Your Practice” (Co-Author/Co-Presenter), ACC Pennsylvania CLE, 7/11/2013
- “Collection Issues and Strategies: Both Prior To and After Bankruptcy Filing” (Presenter), webinar, Feb. 2009
- “Assisting Clients from the Start Through the End of a Bankruptcy Case” (Chapter Author), Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and Restructuring Strategies: Leading Lawyers on Developing a Case Strategy, Working with Key Players, and Achieving a Client’s Goals (Inside the Minds), Aspatore, 2008.
Admissions and Licenses
- Pennsylvania Bar Admission
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Allegheny County Bar Association (Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Inns of Court – Judith K. Fitzgerald Western Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Chapter
- Carnegie Mellon University Alumni Association
- Turnaround Management Association – Pittsburgh Chapter
- Indiana Township Zoning Hearing Board Chairman
- Neighborhood Legal Services Volunteer Attorney
- Carnegie Mellon University alumni activities
- Legal Advisor to homeowners’ associations and school organizations in the Fox Chapel, Pennsylvania, area
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D. (1981)
- Carnegie Mellon University, B.S. (1978), dual degree, Social Science and Administration & Management Science