Edward M. Vavro, Jr.
Edward M. Vavro, Jr. is a shareholder of Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C. and concentrates his practice in the areas of transportation law and general litigation. Mr. Vavro was named Chair of the firm’s Transportation Law Group in 2014 and is also a member of the Insurance Law and Litigation Group. He has litigated numerous catastrophic losses involving commercial vehicles in federal and state courts both locally and nationally.
Mr. Vavro also serves as National Coordinating Counsel for an international corporation headquartered in Pittsburgh where he specializes in handling transportation issues at the corporate level.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Vavro served as general counsel for the Motor Vehicle Board in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.In 1993, Mr. Vavro graduated from Duquesne University with a Bachelor of Arts degree. He received his J.D. from The Dickinson School of Law of The Pennsylvania State University in 1997.
- The Best Lawyers in America® since 2013: Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- Appointed as Board Counsel for international insurance program handling coverage issues for Canadian truck carriers operating in the United States
- Frequent lecturer on insurance coverage issues and catastrophic loss
- “Nuclear Verdicts in the U.S. with an Emphasis in Transportation Law” (Keynote Speaker); Mississauga, Ontario; November 2022
- “Multi-Plaintiff Catastrophic Loss Cases” (Panel Speaker); American Trucking Associations’ Legal Forum; Austin, Texas; July 2022
- “Indemnity for Corporate Defendants and Safety Compliance Issues” (Keynote Speaker); Matthews International Corporation; Indianapolis, Indiana; 2019
- “Managing and Handling Catastrophic Loss” (Keynote Speaker); Zurich Insurance Company; Toronto, Ontario; 2018
- “Responding To And Defending Catastrophic Loss Transportation Accidents” (Keynote Speaker); Conference of Captive Insurance Carriers; Grand Cayman Islands; 12/4/2017
- Has written and been published nationally on the topics of insurance coverage issues and catastrophic loss
Admissions and Licenses
- Pennsylvania Bar Admission
- Superior Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- American Trucking Associations
- Defense Research Institute
- Intermodal Association of North America
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Motor Truck Industry Defense Association
- Pennsylvania Moving & Storage Associates
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- The Dickinson School of Law of The Pennsylvania State University, J.D. (1997)
- Duquesne University, B.A. (1993)