Michael J. Sweeney
Michael J. Sweeney is a shareholder of Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C. He concentrates his practice in the areas of oil and gas law, product liability law and commercial litigation, with a particular emphasis in toxic torts and environmental litigation.
Within the area of toxic tort, Mr. Sweeney has defended cases throughout the United States alleging personal injuries (including cancer, neurological and cognitive injury, and risk and fear of future injury claims) due to chemical exposures occurring at the workplace, or from using industrial or consumer products. The chemicals at issue have ranged from volatile organic compounds (including benzene, vinyl chloride and other chlorinated solvents), to heavy metals (lead, mercury), to PCBs, dioxins and furans.
Mr. Sweeney has defended chemical manufacturers in a certified class action involving property value diminution claims; in mass tort actions alleging environmental exposures to contaminated groundwater and air emissions; and mass tort actions involving lost profits and damages to natural resources arising from long-term chemical discharges to the environment.
Mr. Sweeney has handled a wide range of commercial litigation cases, including contract disputes, price fixing and antitrust matters, and landlord liability actions.
In addition to his law firm practice, Mr. Sweeney served for six years (July 2013 to August 2019) as Senior Counsel and Associate General Counsel to a Pittsburgh-based, publicly-traded coal producer and natural gas exploration and production company. He was responsible for managing all litigation matters of the company and its subsidiaries, including those related to mineral rights, royalty ownership and accounting (including several class actions), personal injuries, labor and employment matters, and commercial litigation. He also consulted with corporate clients on environmental and human resources issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Sweeney served as a prosecutor and trial defense attorney with the U.S. Army Judge Advocate’s General Corp, 1st Infantry Division.
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® since 2009
- The Best Lawyers in America® since 2013: Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
Admissions and Licenses
- Pennsylvania Bar Admission
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Duquesne University School of Law, J.D. (1985); Duquesne Law Review
- Syracuse University, B.S. (1981), Communications