Commercial Law and Litigation
Insurance Law and Litigation
B.A., Washington & Jefferson College (1984)
J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law (1987)
W. Alan Torrance, Jr.
Two PPG Place, Suite 400
Mr. Torrance is a shareholder of Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C. He concentrates his practice in the areas of business torts and commercial litigation with a particular emphasis in construction and surety law.
His experience includes representation of owners, contractors, design professionals, suppliers, and sureties in private and publicly-funded projects. He has prosecuted mechanic's lien claims in ten states and Canada and regularly prosecutes and defends claims for contract funds, change orders, labor inefficiencies, delays, and other direct and indirect costs. In addition, he frequently prepares and revises contracts for domestic and international projects. He has served as both an arbitrator and mediator of construction disputes involving owners, design professionals, and contractors.
Mr. Torrance is Dickie McCamey's Marketing Director overseeing more than 140 lawyers throughout eleven offices in six states and serves on the firm's Executive Committee.
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating (highest rating available) from Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Construction Law
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®: Construction Litigation
- Contributing Author, Performance Bond Manual, American Bar Association, 2006
- American Bar Association – Fidelity & Surety Law Committee and Forum on the Construction Industry
- National Bond Claims Association
- Achieved multi-million dollar settlement from the geotechnical engineers and contractor regarding the design and installation of a failed structural retaining wall and foundation on behalf of a Fortune 100 company as the owner of commercial property.
- Representation of surety in multi-million dollar performance bond default arising from a publicly bid prison project.
- Prosecution of mechanics liens and claims for payment throughout the United States and Canada for a national roofing contractor.
- Obtained jury verdict for 100% of the claim for labor inefficiency and delay costs, attorney's fees, interest, and penalty interest in favor of a specialty contractor after a four-week jury trial.
- On behalf of a surety, successfully negotiated and resolved the affirmative claim for delay damages assigned by a defaulted contractor against the project owner arising from the construction of a major league baseball stadium.
- Negotiated delivery and installation of an industrial boiler system in an automobile manufacturing facility in Mexico.
- Representation of various bonding companies on all types of indemnity and bond claims arising from the issuance of performance, payment, and maintenance bonds, in addition to probate and miscellaneous bonds.
- Prosecution of bid protest resulting in award of publicly funded infrastructure project to client without a rebid.
- Successful defense and resolution of OSHA claims filed against a general contractor resulting from the death of a subcontractor's employee.
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Law, 1987
- Washington & Jefferson College, B.A. – Economics, 1984
- American University / Economics Study – U.S. Treasury Department, Office of Market Analysis and Government Finance, Fall 1983